Dysprosium is a silver-white metal, soft and can be cut with a knife; the melting point is 1412°C, the boiling point is 2562°C, and the density is 8.55 g/cm3; it has superconductivity near absolute zero. Dysprosium is quite stable in the air, and is easily oxidized by air and water at high temperatures to form Dysprosium trioxide. Dysprosium is mainly used to make dysprosium lamps as a new type of lighting source; Dysprosium can be used as a reactor control material; Dysprosium compounds can be used as catalysts in the oil refining industry.
Silver white rare earth metal. Hard and lively. It is easily oxidized by oxygen, reacts quickly with water, and dissolves in acid. Alloys used to make magnets, infrared generating equipment, laser materials and atomic energy industry.
The main uses of Dysprosium are:
(1) Used as an additive for neodymium iron boron permanent magnets. Adding about 2 to 3% dysprosium to this magnet can increase its coercivity. In the past, the demand for dysprosium was not large, but with the use of neodymium iron boron magnets As the demand increases, it becomes a necessary additional element, and the grade must be around 95-99.9%, and the demand is also increasing rapidly.
(2) Dysprosium is used as phosphor activator, trivalent dysprosium is a promising single-luminescence center three-primary color luminescent material activated ion, it is mainly composed of two emission bands, one is yellow light emission, the other is blue light Emitting, dysprosium-doped luminescent materials can be used as three primary color phosphors.
(3) Dysprosium is a necessary metal raw material for the preparation of the large magnetostrictive alloy terbium and dysprosium (Terfenol) alloy, which can realize the precise activities of some mechanical movements.
(4) Dysprosium metal can be used as magneto-optical storage material, with high recording speed and reading sensitivity.
(5) For the preparation of dysprosium lamps, the working substance used in dysprosium lamps is dysprosium iodide. This kind of lamp has the advantages of large brightness, good color, high color temperature, small volume, stable arc, etc., and has been used in movies and printing Wait for the lighting source.
(6) Due to the large cross-sectional area of neutron capture, dysprosium is used in the atomic energy industry to measure the neutron spectrum or as a neutron absorber.
(7) Dy3Al5O12 can also be used as a magnetic working material for magnetic refrigeration. With the development of science and technology, the application fields of Dysprosium will continue to expand and extend..